Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Deliciously moist and tender, and lovely served warm at breakfast. From the Australian Womens' Weekly.
- 2 cups self rising flour (300g)
- 3 ounces cold butter, cut into small cubes (90g)
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar (165g)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut (90g)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coconut cream (250ml)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar (110g)
- 1⁄4 cup water (60ml)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (60ml)
- Preheat oven to moderately hot (400F).
- Grease a 12-hole (1/3 cup/80ml capacity) muffin pan.
- Sift flour into a large bowl, and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar, desiccated coconut, zest, egg and coconut cream- be careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan, and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack over a tray.
- Pour hot lemon syrup over the hot muffins.
- If necessary, drain the syrup from the tray and pour over muffins again.
- Lemon syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer uncovered, without stirring, for 2 minutes.
Even though I had problems figuring out what the different type of dried coconuts were this recipe is absolutely fab! Easy to make and the muffin are delicious. I added extra baking powder (1/2 tsp) and sustituted the 250ml coconut cream with 400ml coconut milk - they are fluffier that way. My work mates love me for those!
These are THE BEST muffins I have ever made. I make a lot of muffins for a cafe I part own and use sites like recipezaar looking for words like "awesome" and "best". These are the best and they are easy to make, if a little time-consuming rubbing the butter in.