1/1 Photo of Coconut Lemon Layer Cake
1 hr 5 mins
Aunt Cookie's Note:
This is a coconut-flavored cake with a layer of lemon curd in the middle, topped with lemony whipped cream and coconut. YUM! I got this from my beloved "Moosewood Book of Desserts." It makes a really pretty cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
For lemon curd filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- 2With an electric mixer, cream the butter and 2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut milk and vanilla. Add half of the milk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until well blended.
- 4Into another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 5Add the sifted mixture to the butter mixture and stir well. Thoroughly mix in the remaining milk mixture. The batter will be very heavy.
- 6Using an electric mixer with clean, dry beaters and a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the beaten whites into the batter until no trace of white remains.
- 7Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- 8While the cake is baking, make the lemon curd. In the saucepan, whisk together the lemon peel, juice, sugar, and eggs.
- 9On medium heat, cook the mixture, whisking constantly until the curd thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 10For a perfectly smooth curd, pour the curd through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the lemon peel and any bits of egg (I always do this, because there are always little egg bits in the curd).
- 11Whisk in the butter a little at a time.
- 12Refrigerate the curd until well-chilled, about an hour.
- 13When the cake is cooled, spread half of the lemon curd between the two layers.
- 14Whip the cream until stiff and stir in the remaining lemon curd. Spread the whipped lemon cream over the cake and chill well.
- 15Serve sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Lemon Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 637.5
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 141.0 mg
- Sodium 424.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 49.2 g
- Protein 7.5 g