This is a coconut-flavored cake with a layer of lemon curd in the middle, topped with lemony whipped cream and coconut. YUM! I got this from my beloved "Moosewood Book of Desserts." It makes a really pretty cake!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg whites
For lemon curd filling
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and 2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coconut milk and vanilla. Add half of the milk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until well blended.
- Into another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the sifted mixture to the butter mixture and stir well. Thoroughly mix in the remaining milk mixture. The batter will be very heavy.
- Using an electric mixer with clean, dry beaters and a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the beaten whites into the batter until no trace of white remains.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until the tip of a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the lemon curd. In the saucepan, whisk together the lemon peel, juice, sugar, and eggs.
- On medium heat, cook the mixture, whisking constantly until the curd thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- For a perfectly smooth curd, pour the curd through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the lemon peel and any bits of egg (I always do this, because there are always little egg bits in the curd).
- Whisk in the butter a little at a time.
- Refrigerate the curd until well-chilled, about an hour.
- When the cake is cooled, spread half of the lemon curd between the two layers.
- Whip the cream until stiff and stir in the remaining lemon curd. Spread the whipped lemon cream over the cake and chill well.
- Serve sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes.