Recipe by Carol's Mistletoe Kitchen
This is my favorite cake ever!!! It was Judy's recipe and we tweaked a little. It make such a beautiful dessert that I am always excited to serve. Besides looking so pretty, it is DELICIOUS !!!! The lemon filling between layers makes this cake!!
Top Review by ZMiaJ
Delicious! I halved the recipe and accidentally used only 2 eggs instead of 4 - turned out to be the moistest cake I've ever made! The frosting is EXACTLY the kind my husband likes and I have never quite been able to get it right until now. I did change the filling so my rating can't reflect that part of the recipe, but it is 5 stars all the way otherwise!
- 2 (18 ounce) white cake mix, Duncan Hines
- 2 (3 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Crisco cooking oil
- 8 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup lemonade concentrate
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 (12 ounce) package angel flake coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all ingredients for cake;
- Pour 2 heaping cups of batter into each of 4 round pans, sprayed with pam. (you can make cupcakes with leftover batter).
- Bake 18-23 minutes at 350. Do not overcook.
- Turn onto wax paper; and cover with cloth and gently press down on each layer to make them level. Leave covered with cloth and let cool completely.
- Lemon Filling: Melt butter; blend in sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Mix egg yolks with lemonade. Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg mixture. Stir lemonade mixture into hot mixture; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cool completely.
- Frosting: Mix cream cheese and sugar together (with mixer) until fluffy. Fold in Cool Whip.
- On cake plate, put layers together with lemonade filling. Frost top and sides with frosting. Press angel flake coconut on sides and top of frosted cake.
- (Keep refrigerated).