1/1 Photo of Coconut Layer Cake With Lemon Filling and Marshmallow-Like Frost
1 hr 40 mins
I LOVE this recipe so much.. make it for a party or birthday when you want to WOW your guests. I hope that you enjoy making this, I know I did!! Not a beginner recipe but a great one to have your kids assist you with the filling or frosting! Originally found in "The Summer Book" by Susan Branch. Make sure you have a double boiler for the filling and a candy thermometer for the frosting! NOTE: I made four 8" layer cakes by doubling the recipe, rather than using one batch to make three 8" layer cakes. Be generous!
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
Cake (Makes three 8-inch layer cakes)
- 88.74 ml butter, room temperature
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 532.32 ml flour, sifted
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1To Make The Cake:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3If you have only one mixing bowl, start by stiffly beating the egg whites and set aside, (keeping in mind that they will not hold forever).
- 4Cream butter and sugar.
- 5Add egg tolks and beat until thick and lemon colored.
- 6With a fork, mix together dry ingredients.
- 7Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- 8Stir in vanilla.
- 9Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 10Divide batter between 3 buttered 8" cake pans (or 2 pans and make another batch of the recipe while the first is baking).
- 11Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- 12Cool completely and remove from pans.
- 13Freeze if time permits.
- 14Before filling and frosting, cut off rough edges of cake with sharp scissors.
- 15To Make The Lemon Filling:.
- 16When grating rind take special care to not get the bitter white part.
- 17Put all ingredients in a double boiler.
- 18Stir over simmering water until thickened (approximately 15-20 minutes).
- 20To Make The Marshmallow-Like Frosting:.
- 21Stir the water, sugar, cream of tartar and salt together in a small heavy-bottomed pan.
- 22Hook a candy thermometer to the edge of the pan and boil without stirring until the mixture reaches 240°F.
- 23Meanwhile, beat egg whites until stiff.
- 24Pour the 240° syrup over the egg whites in a thin stream, beating constantly until thick and glossy.
- 25To Assemble: Remove cake layers from freezer.
- 26Spread the chilled filling between the layers, trying to not let much of it get out the sides.
- 27Frost the cake with the marshmallow-like frosting and sprinkle coconut on thickly, gently pressing it into the sides.
- 28If the cake slips around, gently slide it back straight.
- 29Decorate top with a flower or group of leaves. I use three strawberry leaves and a flower set in the center.
- 30Can be refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Layer Cake With Lemon Filling and Marshmallow-Like Frost
Serving Size: 1 (1991 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.0
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 74.7 mg
- Sodium 234.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 48.6 g
- Protein 5.0 g