Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Coconut layer cake with lemon curd filling.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup prepared lemon curd
- fluffy white frosting
- 3 cups dried sweetened flaked coconut
Fluffy White Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut extract
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour three 8-inch-round cake pans. In bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and baking soda, mixing well. In large mixer bowl, at medium speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in extracts. One at a time, beat in eggs. Alternately beat in flour and buttermilk, ending with flour. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bowl. Pour batter into prepared cake pans; smooth cake tops with spatula. Bake until wooden pick inserted into centers of layers comes out clean, around 30 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting:.
- In bowl, using mixer on medium-high speed, whip together cream and ½ cup confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. In separate bowl, beat together cream cheese and remaining ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream. Fold in coconut extract.
- On cake plate or stand, place first layer top side down. Spread with half of lemon curd. Add second layer top side down; spread with remaining lemon curd. Add third layer top side up. Frost sides and top of cake with frosting; sprinkle sides and top with coconut.