At Shubox Cafe, this dessert is known as Awesome Coconut Cake, aptly named by one of the cafe's best customers. To make this recipe, you'll need to buy one 15-ounce can of sweetened cream of coconut. Some of it is used in the cake; be sure to save the rest for the Cream Cheese Frosting(Cream Cheese Frosting). From Bon Appetit.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup canned cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pinch salt
- cream cheese frosting (See recipe I posted, Cream Cheese Frosting)
- 4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- On low speed, beat in dry ingredients and then buttermilk, each just until blended.
- Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- Divide cake batter between prepared pans.
- Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes.
- Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.
- Place 1 cake layer on cake plate.
- Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer.
- Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over.
- Top with second cake layer.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere.
- (Coconut Layer Cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.)*Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most supermarkets nationwide.
- Makes 10 servings.