1/2 Photos of Coconut Layer Cake
1 hr 10 mins
At Shubox Cafe, this dessert is known as Awesome Coconut Cake, aptly named by one of the cafe's best customers. To make this recipe, you'll need to buy one 15-ounce can of sweetened cream of coconut. Some of it is used in the cake; be sure to save the rest for the Cream Cheese Frosting(Cream Cheese Frosting). From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup canned cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 pinch salt
- cream cheese frosting (See recipe I posted, Cream Cheese Frosting)
- 4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides.
- 3Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl to blend.
- 4Using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and sweetened cream of coconut in large bowl until fluffy.
- 5Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- 6On low speed, beat in dry ingredients and then buttermilk, each just until blended.
- 7Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites with pinch of salt in another large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- 8Fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- 9Divide cake batter between prepared pans.
- 10Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- 11Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- 12Run small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cakes.
- 13Turn cakes out onto racks and cool completely.
- 14Place 1 cake layer on cake plate.
- 15Spread 1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting over cake layer.
- 16Sprinkle 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut over.
- 17Top with second cake layer.
- 18Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- 19Sprinkle remaining coconut over cake, gently pressing into sides to adhere.
- 20(Coconut Layer Cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours before serving.)*Canned sweetened cream of coconut is available in the liquor section of most supermarkets nationwide.
- 21Makes 10 servings.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 755.2
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 28.7 g
- Cholesterol 124.1 mg
- Sodium 396.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 67.6 g
- Protein 8.4 g