Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Found this recipe by request at USENET Cookbook. I haven't made these yet but it sounds like a supersweet and easy recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups sweetened coconut
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Melt butter.
- Cool slightly and add powdered sugar and coconut.
- Mix well and shape mixture into 36 balls.
- Make an indent in center of each and fill centers with melted chocolate.
- Chill until firm.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
This was super easy to make, but I think you really need to love coconut to eat more than one of these. Because you need to keep them in the refrigerator, the chocolate is rock hard. I think I'll try making it again, but I'll probably make the cookies wider and flatter, so the chocolate is thinner and easier to bite through. Overall, it tastes just like Mounds!
This is one of those recipes that I got back at Christmas time in 1979. (my dd's first Christmas) It has been on my Christmas tray ever since. My coconut loving family adores these. I think that it originally came from Baker's coconut ad. I made them the first time because they looked nice, had coconut and chocolate AND were easy for a beginning cook to make. The recipe holds a million memories for me. I'm glad you shared it.