An Indian candy-like sweet. The jaggery lends a unique carmel flavor. I use grated, desiccated coconut. Found this recipe on the internet.
- In a small pan, toast the cashews in a tsp of the ghee. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan (low heat) cook jaggery and coconut until blended being watchful that the coconut does not burn.
- Add milk and stir 'til well blended.
- Add the rest of the ghee, cardamom, salt, and nuts.
- Cook stirring frequently 'til mixture is slightly pliable and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Spread in a greased pan and refrigerate 'til firm or overnight.
- Remove from pan (place bottom of pan in hot water a minute).
- On a cutting board, cut into diamonds or rectangles. Wrap in waxed paper if desired.
This is my 1st time making coconut barfi. The only thing I am not sure about is how it's turned out. Barfis I've had are soft and chewy but these were hard! I had to warm it up slightly in the microwave to be able to cut them. They tasted great though (how it should), hence 5* for taste alone! I added in almonds instead of cahews since I don't like them, otherwise I followed the recipe as stated. I probably overcooked it? I shall definitely reduce the cooking time next time and see how they turn out. Thank you, Kathy228, for sharing, definitely will be making it again! :)