Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From The Complete Home Confectioner by Hilary Walden, very easy recipe producing coconuty somewhat like fudge, thick & solid yet creamy candy. The cooking time is an estimated "setting" time for the mixture once it's in the pan.
- Using extra icing sugar, dust a square pan (pan size will determine thickness).
- Mix the condensed milk, icing sugar and coconut together in a large bowl until it's fully mixed and stiff.
- Divide in half and tint one half of the mixture pink with the food colouring.
- Press one mixture into the pan gently then top and press with the other mixture.
- Leave to set then cut into cubes or fingers with an oiled knife.
- To store: wrap or layer with waxed or greaseproof paper and store in an airtight container.
I've just made these. Fantastically easy. My tin was a little bigger so I made double the amount but made it in 2 batches. The pink layer is easiest to colour if you colour the condensed milk before adding it to the dry mixture - you get a more even colour.
I have just made my second batch of coconut ice, great recipe and yes I agree it is better colour the condensed milk first. My friends husband tasted it and loved it so much he went home with half of what I made.
Perfect! So simple and quick. It never lasts long!