Recipe by misscrys79
I LOVE coconut ice cream and gelato and was so pleased to have had a friend give this recipe to me. Most of the time, I leave the sweetened flaked coconut out since I don't particularly care for the added texture, but that's just me. My friend who makes this all of the time uses a sweetened flaked coconut that is found in the freezer section of the supermarket and says that the taste is better. Experiment and enjoy! :)
Top Review by 2Bleu
Yummy! I made as directed with the ingredients listed and also added 1 tsp each of coconut and vanilla extract to packed it full of flavor. I used my ice cream maker and got ice cream. Without the machine I would have gotten gelato as gelato is made with less air. This is so simple to make and it's fun to eat in a waffle cone. Next time I'll fill popsicle molds with the softened ice cream and freeze them for individual treats. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)
- 1 cup milk
- 14 ounces cream of coconut (NOT coconut milk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything except the flaked coconut.
- Put in ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Add flakes 5 minutes before ice cream is ready, if desired.
- Note: This recipe could either be made up as ice cream or a gelato. If you use whole milk, you will get ice cream. If you exchange the heavy cream for whole milk (so the entire recipe uses 2 1/2 cups of milk), you have gelato. If you use a low-fat milk with the heavy cream, you get something in between.