Prep 4 mins
Cook 0 mins
My all-time favorite ice cream flavor. You can add several other ingredients to suit your taste.
- 2 cups coconut milk powder (see Note)
- 1 cup hot tap water
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons pastry cream, filling mix (see Note)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring (extra strong)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Dissolve the coconut milk powder in the hot water in a large bowl.
- Whisk until all large lumps are gone.
- Add the pastry cream filling mix to the heavy cream, again whisking until no lumps remain.
- Mix the coconut "milk" and pastry/heavy cream together.
- Add the sugar and coconut flavor.
- Add the shredded coconut, if using.
- Place the bowl in the fridge to chill for several hours, or up to overnight.
- Freeze in a 1-quart ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.
- The ice cream will be dense and soft when finished.
- Enjoy right away for a soft-serve treat, or chill in the freezer for 4 to 6 hours to harden.
- Love Almond Joy or Mounds candy bars? Add chopped chocolate and/or nuts, up to 1/2 cup total, during the last 5 minutes of churning for a tasty treat.
- If you don't care for the shredded coconut texture, leave it out.
- No pastry cream filling mix? You can leave out this ingredient, but the ice cream will be less smooth, rich, and creamy. It's definitely worth adding!
- NOTE: If you cannot find locally they may be purchased at www.kingarthurflour.com.