Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From Best of Country Cooking. When I get around to making this, I will probably substitute coconut extract for some - if not all - of the vanilla.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made as directed, including the substitution of coconut extract for some of the vanilla as suggested in the intro -- good call! Since I strained the flaked coconut out in step 4, I didn't do the optional toasted coconut at the end in order to keep it a creamy consistency. This is one of the better ice creams I'ved tried this summer! Thanks, Whatcha Cookin', Mom?! Made for Aussie New Zealand Recipe Swap #16.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- flaked coconut, Toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and milk; cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture begins to boil.
- Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain, discarding coconut.
- Place milk mixture in a large bowl; add cream, vanilla and remaining coconut.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a 2-qt. freezer container.
- Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.
- Yield: 2 quarts.