Recipe by Patty Mae
This recipe was inspired by the coconut ice cream served at our local Thai restaurant. Prep time does not include time required for chilling mixture.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix half-and-half, cinnamon sticks, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Heat to scalding, stirring occasionally and being careful not to boil.
- Reduce heat to and let simmer about 15 minutes to allow the cinnamon flavor to infuse the mixture. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Slowly whisk about half cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add all remaining ingredients except coconut. Cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Pour cold mixture into ice cream container and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- If your ice cream machine has an "add in" chute, add the coconut after the ice cream starts to thicken, otherwise stir it in after it's done.