Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by the coconut ice cream served at our local Thai restaurant. Prep time does not include time required for chilling mixture.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Mix half-and-half, cinnamon sticks, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Heat to scalding, stirring occasionally and being careful not to boil.
- Reduce heat to and let simmer about 15 minutes to allow the cinnamon flavor to infuse the mixture. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Slowly whisk about half cup of the hot half-and-half mixture into the egg yolks, then slowly whisk the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Add all remaining ingredients except coconut. Cool in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Pour cold mixture into ice cream container and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- If your ice cream machine has an "add in" chute, add the coconut after the ice cream starts to thicken, otherwise stir it in after it's done.