Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Laced with chewy toasted, shredded coconut. Requires an ice cream maker.
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Spread coconut out on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Place in a 400° oven for 5-7 minutes or until coconut turns a light brown; take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and a pale yellow color.
- Beat in the cornstarch and salt; set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix together the half-anf-half and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly beat the hot liquid into the eggs/sugar mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and set on low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard gets slightly thickened (don't let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove from heat and pour the hot custard mixture through a strainer into a large clean mixing bowl.
- Let the custard cool slightly, then stir in the toasted coconut, cream, and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- May eat right away or transfer to a freezer container and freeze 2 hours.
This was great ice cream. I made for a family reunion Luau. The only thing I did different was to add the toasted coconut after freezing the ice cream because I wanted it to stay slightly crunchy. It was VERY rich and creamy. Thanks for posting.
Yum! Double Yum! Thank you for posting this recipe. PS unsweetened coconut worked fine, too.
My sister found this recipe on line and gave it to me. I made the ice cream, it was really good, but I didn't care too much for the chewy coconut shreds. Maybe next time I will put the chilled mixture through the food processor to blend the shredded coconut so it isn't so noticable in the end product before I put the mixture into the ice cream maker. Can't wait to see how that turns out.