Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Laced with chewy toasted, shredded coconut. Requires an ice cream maker.
Top Review by Kathy!!
This was great ice cream. I made for a family reunion Luau. The only thing I did different was to add the toasted coconut after freezing the ice cream because I wanted it to stay slightly crunchy. It was VERY rich and creamy. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread coconut out on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Place in a 400° oven for 5-7 minutes or until coconut turns a light brown; take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and a pale yellow color.
- Beat in the cornstarch and salt; set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix together the half-anf-half and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly beat the hot liquid into the eggs/sugar mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and set on low heat.
- Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard gets slightly thickened (don't let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble).
- Remove from heat and pour the hot custard mixture through a strainer into a large clean mixing bowl.
- Let the custard cool slightly, then stir in the toasted coconut, cream, and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard; freeze in 1 or 2 batches in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- May eat right away or transfer to a freezer container and freeze 2 hours.