Recipe by Heather Sullivan
This comes from Hilary Walden's The Complete Home Confectioner. It's for a more traditional, cooked coconut ice candy.
Top Review by RecipeTsarina
This was reasonably good but did not set as much as I would have liked. I notice now it is an English recipe so maybe this version isn't quite the one I thought it would be.
- 450 g sugar
- 150 ml milk
- 150 g desiccated coconut (a very finely ground dried shelf-stable coconut)
- 2 -5 drops red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a pan (8x6inches) with oil or butter.
- Heat sugar and milk in large heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir with a wooden spoon until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and boil for 3 minutes exactly.
- Uncover and place a prewarmed candy thermometer in the pan. Boil until it reaches 116C/240F, the soft ball stage.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut.
- Quickly pour the mixture into the pan.
- Add food colouring, stir in quickly and pour into pan on top of the white layer.
- Cool until half-set, mark into squares or fingers with an oiled knife.
- Leave until completely set then break or cut into pieces.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 7 days.