Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These yummy little bites are the perfect addition to any holiday cookie platter. They are quick to make, taste spicy and sweet and are just very special. I hope youll enjoy them as much as we did. The original comes from famour German chef Tim Mälzer, however I have modified them quite a bit to be healthier. These cookies dry out quite quickly, so slice them right before serving.
- First dry toast your coconut in a skillet until nicely browned and fragrant. Let cool.
- In a big bowl mix honey, applesauce and egg.
- In a second bowl combine flour, baking powder, spices, sugar, cocoa powder and coconut. Add this to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Your dough will be rather soft, but you should be able to knead it. If its too wet for this, add a bit more flour.
- Place dough onto a paper-lined baking sheet and pat into a rectangle of about 1 inch/2 cm in height.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 170°C/350°F for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and slice into about 25 small cubes.
- If you like you can drizzle the cubes with melted chocolate and add some coconut on top.
Made these the other day so that my other half would have something to share at work! Very, very nice tasting little buggers they are, too! When they were cool enough (from the oven) I sliced off the edges to form a rectangle then sliced that large shape into squares, but kept the "scraps" for me to enjoy! I now have plans to make this recipe again during that last week of December to include on a New Year's Eve buffet! We do love that gingerbread! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]