Coconut Grove in Miami Florida was one of my hangouts as a teenager. I found this recipe slightly adapted from Maida Heatter's Cookies cookbook. Enjoy! I haven't made these yet, so not sure how many this recipe makes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, divided
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the meringue topping)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1Adjust two racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat oven to 375ºF. Line cookie sheets with parchment or Silpat.
- 2Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside. Place 4 ounces of chocolate in the top of a small double boiler over hot water on moderate heat. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth, then remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- 3To cut the remaining 4 ounces of chocolate, use a heavy knife, work on a cutting board, and cut the chocolate into pieces measuring ¼ to ½ inch across. Set aside.
- 4In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the vanilla and the instant coffee and both sugars, and beat well. Beat in the egg yolks, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the melted chocolate. On low speed, gradually add half of the sifted dry ingredients, continuing to scrape the bowl with the spatula. Now gradually add the milk and the remaining dry ingredients and beat only until smooth. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the cut chocolate pieces. Set the chocolate dough aside at room temperature and prepare the meringue topping.
- 5Meringue Topping.
- 6In the small bowl of an electric mixer, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites together with the salt until the whites hold soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar, 1 to 2 spoonfuls at a time, and then beat at high speed until the meringue is very stiff. Toward the end of the beating, beat in the almond extract.
- 7Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the flour and then the coconut.
- 8To form the cookies: Use a rounded teaspoonful of the chocolate dough for each cookie and place them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Slightly flatten the tops. Then top each cookie with a slightly rounded teaspoonful of the meringue topping. In order to wind up even, use a tiny bit less of the topping than you use of the chocolate dough for each cookie. Try to place the topping carefully so that it won't run off the chocolate dough for each while it is baking.
- 9Bake 11-13 minutes, until the topping is lightly browned. Reverse the cookie sheets top to bottom and front to back once during baking to ensure even browning. With a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Grove Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5777.0
- Calories from Fat 3203
- Total Fat 355.9 g
- Saturated Fat 252.2 g
- Cholesterol 587.2 mg
- Sodium 1612.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 658.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 77.0 g
- Sugars 272.1 g
- Protein 88.9 g