Recipe by 199949
We love rice and are always looking for new ways to make it - this recipe is adapted from a cookbook called "Favorite Vegetarian Dishes". It is very fragrant and looks beautiful when served.
Top Review by petlover
i made this as directed (minue the curry leaf)but the rice came out hard-i would add about 1/2 cup of chicken broth next time-also there were no directions how long to cook the rice-it took about 25 minutes for all the liquid to be absorbed so i would recommend that cooking time would be about 25 minutes plus an additional 15 mintes standing time before serving-the taste is very good! I will try this again with the added liquid and time.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stalk curry leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice (basmati or jasmine rice preferred)
- 1⁄4 cup peas (frozen)
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mint (chopped)
- 2 -3 green chilies (chopped)
- lime wedge (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, add shallots, bay leaves, curry leaves and rice, and stir over medium heat until the rice turns translucent.
- Add the coconut milk, salt and peas and bring to a boil until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook for a few more minutes, being vigilant that the rice does not scald at the bottom.
- Remove bay and curry leaves and stir in the cilantro, mint and chilies.
- Fluff up with a fork, garnish with lime wedges if desired and serve immediately.