Recipe by Jostlori
Old-fashioned Thai Coconut Ice Cream is delicious but involved to make. This simple granita is very much like that, but much easier to make! From Cracking the Coconut, a Thai cookbook by Su-Mei Yu. PREP TIME INCLUDES FREEZING AND SCRAPING TIME.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 ounces dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely ground
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water, mixing to thoroughly combine. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 3-4 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Add the coconut milk and almond extract to the sugar syrup, mixing well to combine Pour into a 9x13 pyrex or plastic container and put in the freezer.
- After about an hour, ice crystals will start to form around the edges of the container. Use a fork to break up the ice crystals, and continue to freeze, mixing and scraping with a fork every 30 to 45 minutes, until the mixture turns to ice shavings.
- To serve: use a fork or ice cream scoop to shave off layers of the frozen block. If the granita is too hard to scrape, leave it out at room tep until it starts to melt or break in up into pieces and pulse in a food processor.
- Serve in small bowls and garnish with the crushed peanuts.