1 hr 20 mins
From Burt Wolf's recipes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350'F. Bring one quart of water to a boil.
- 2In a thin saute pan, cook the sugar over medium heat until it is amber-coloured and bubbly. (Do not stir while it is cooking, or you will get spun sugar and a big mess.) Watch the pan closely and lift the pan off the burner if the sugar is cooking quickly or unevenly. Shake the pan to distribute the melting sugar. When the sugar is completely caramelized, pour the hot mixture into the bottom of a 3-quart flan mold, Bundt pan, loaf pan or individual molds. Rotate the mold(s) in your hands, using potholders, so that the sugar syrup covers the entire bottom of the pan. Set aside. Please be careful, because the sugar is extremely hot, and it can burn your skin.
- 3In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk, sweetened coconut milk, (or un- sweetened coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk) egg yolks, eggs, vanilla, and ginger and whisk well. Pour the batter over the caramelized sugar in the mold, making sure to evenly distribute the crystallized ginger. Top with the sliced almonds.
- 4Place the flan into another pan a bit larger. Add the hot water to the large pan around the flan mold, to come halfway up the sides. Cover with a lid or foil so that both pans are covered completely (bain-marie).
- 5Bake the flan for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the flan from the water bath and chill it in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. TO serve, loosen the sides with a knife and flip the flan mold over onto a platter. Garnish with flowers or fresh fruit and serve.
- 6Hint: It is better to make this a day ahead and chill it until it is as icy cold as possible, so that the flavors have time to blend.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut-Ginger Flan
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.0
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 264.0 mg
- Sodium 73.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 82.1 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweetened coconut milk