1 hr 30 mins
From Mollie Katzen's "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without." My husband gave me this book for Christmas, and this was the recipe that immediately caught my eye. Finally got the chance to make it, and it was as good as it sounds! I'm giving the recipe exactly as it appeared in the book, but noting my changes/experience in parentheses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 1/2 cups onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced (use a tablespoon!)
- 2 teaspoons garlic (minced or crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh, or use fresh lime juice)
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, minced (Katzen says it's optional but USE IT!!! It makes a huge difference)
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded and unsweetened
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2Place a large skillet over medium heat. After a minute or so, add a tablespoon of olive oil and swirl to coat the pan.
- 3Add the onion and ginger and saute for five minutes.
- 4Stir in the garlic and 1/4 teaspoons salt, and saute for another five minutes.
- 5Add the carrots and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt, and stir until the carrots are coated with the onion mixture. Turn the heat down to medium-low and, cover the pan, and cook without stirring for another five minutes. (Katzen says five; I'd say ten, at least, unless you like really crunchy carrots.).
- 6Add the lemon or lime juice and the crystallized ginger. Cover and cook without stirring for another five minutes.
- 7Transfer carrot mixture to the prepared baking dish, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the carrots are fork tender. (I cooked for 20 and ended up with very crunchy carrots -- I think next time I'll go for 30 minutes.).
- 8Remove the dish from the oven, uncover, and sprinkle with the coconut. Return to the oven and cook, uncovered for another ten to fifteen minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut-Ginger Carrots
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.1
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: