Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I like to serve this as a special version of an Asian dessert, "chendol". I add a teaspoon of sweetened red beans, palm sugar syrup and green "chendol" to each serving.
- Pour the milk and coconut milk into a saucepan and bring it to a light simmer. While it is heating up, whisk the egg yolks and sugar by HAND till its satiny and thick.
- Once the milks start to simmer, turn off the heat and whisk 1/2 of the mix into the egg yolks. Return the egg yolks to the sauce pan and turn on the heat. MAKE SURE THE HEAT IS VERY VERY low, as you do NOT want the mix to curdle.
- Whisk for about 5 minutes or till it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Take off the heat and strain the mix into a large bowl.
- Whisk the salt it and let it cool, then cover it with plastic wrap and put it into the refrigerator overnight.
- 10 minutes before processing it in your ice cream maker, put the mix into the freezer along with the dasher. (This SHOCKS the mix so that not too much air gets mixed into it in the ice cream maker). Do not leave it in the freezer for more than 10 minutes.
- Process according to your ice cream maker.