Recipe by Lainey6605
A delicious pie recipe from my mother-in-law. You can make a graham cracker crust instead of the macaroon cookie crust, if desired. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1 (13 ounce) package macaroons, crushed and mixed with
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 quart heavy cream, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold milk (I use 2 cups to have it set up better)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 (11 3/4 ounce) jar hot fudge
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/2 cup coconut on cookie sheet (ungreased). Bake 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan and either press macaroons into pan forming a crust or make a graham cracker crust.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cool.
- In mixing bowl, at high speed, beat 2 1/2 cups cream with 1/4 cup plus 1 T sugar until almost stiff. Reserve.
- In large bowl, mix dry pudding with milk and extract. Stir in toasted coconut. Fold whipped cream into pudding mixture.
- Heat fudge sauce until just warm. (Two minutes in microwave). Spread 2 cups pudding mixture into crust. Spread 1/2 of fudge sauce over pudding layer. Top with remaining pudding mix; then top with rest of fudge sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least two hours.
- Just before serving, beat remaining cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.