Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious pie recipe from my mother-in-law. You can make a graham cracker crust instead of the macaroon cookie crust, if desired. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1 (13 ounce) package macaroons, crushed and mixed with
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 quart heavy cream, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold milk (I use 2 cups to have it set up better)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 (11 3/4 ounce) jar hot fudge
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread 1/2 cup coconut on cookie sheet (ungreased). Bake 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan and either press macaroons into pan forming a crust or make a graham cracker crust.
- Bake crust at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cool.
- In mixing bowl, at high speed, beat 2 1/2 cups cream with 1/4 cup plus 1 T sugar until almost stiff. Reserve.
- In large bowl, mix dry pudding with milk and extract. Stir in toasted coconut. Fold whipped cream into pudding mixture.
- Heat fudge sauce until just warm. (Two minutes in microwave). Spread 2 cups pudding mixture into crust. Spread 1/2 of fudge sauce over pudding layer. Top with remaining pudding mix; then top with rest of fudge sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least two hours.
- Just before serving, beat remaining cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over pie. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Ohmygoodness! This is a wonderfully easy and rich pie. The ribbon of chocolate fudge is WONDERFUL! I'm using this for my Oscar nite party for sure! Thanks for sharing!
Made this for my DH's birthday because two of his favorite things are coconut and chocolate. It was a huge hit and he made me promise to make it often. I made it with the macaroon crust and am so glad I did. It was spectacular.