This is courtesy of Bobby Deen and the food network. If you love coconut shrimp, you will love this recipe!! The coconut actually sticks to the shrimp and the sauce is great! Very how much red pepper flakes to taste and enjoy.
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 4 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Dipping Sauce:.
- Add all the sipping sauce ingredients to a pot on a low temperature. Heat for 10 minutes, making sure you stir ingredients every few minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat 2-inches of the peanut oil to 325degrees f. Or use a deep fryer.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the water and whisk until smooth. Let the batter stand for 15 minutes.
- In a wide shallow bowl, toss the coconut and bread crumbs together.
- Put the shrimp into the batter. Remove the shrimp, 1 at a time, and dredge in the coconut mixture, pressing to help the cocnut adhere.
- Fry the shrimp in batches in the hot oil for 1 to 2 minutes or until brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shrimp to a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Serve the shrimp with the dipping sauce.