Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
My Pop makes this and boy is it good! A great appetizer or a meal in itself!! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 egg white
- 1 lb medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined, pat dry
- 2 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix batter ingredients (first 5 ingredients) until well blended; some lumps in your batter are okay.
- Dip shrimp, one at a time in the batter, roll in coconut to coat, and place on wax paper.
- Heat 1/4-inch of oil in skillet. (To test is oil is hot enough for frying, take a chunk of bread and place it in the oil; if it crisps easily, it's ready).
- Fry shrimp 7-8 at a time for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- TIP: further chop the coconut so it is fine. This prevents clumping.