Recipe by Sue Lau
From TOH Simple & Delicious. nt
Top Review by mrpaul
I love this recipe !!!! It"s easy to follow and the results were fantastic. The dipping sauce really brought out the flavor too. I couldn't get the frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix so I spent a few more $$$ and got the kind with the rum in it so glad I did too. I'll be doing these a lot maybe add a touch of heat next time to make it even better. Thanks !!!!!
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- oil, for deep-fat frying
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon pina colada nonalcoholic drink mix, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting the inner curve of the shrimp deeply, but not all the way through.
- Press to flatten on your cutting board.
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess.
- Then dip into the egg whites and then into the coconut.
- Fry shrimp in a deep fat fryer or deep skillet, a few at a time, for 1-1.5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a clean paper bag.
- To make dipping sauce, warm the preserves in a small skillet until it melts, and stir in pina colada mix.
- Serve warm dipping sauce with fried shrimp.