Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From TOH Simple & Delicious. nt
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups flaked coconut
- oil, for deep-fat frying
- 1 (12 ounce) jar pineapple preserves
- 1 tablespoon pina colada nonalcoholic drink mix, thawed
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting the inner curve of the shrimp deeply, but not all the way through.
- Press to flatten on your cutting board.
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour, shaking off excess.
- Then dip into the egg whites and then into the coconut.
- Fry shrimp in a deep fat fryer or deep skillet, a few at a time, for 1-1.5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on a clean paper bag.
- To make dipping sauce, warm the preserves in a small skillet until it melts, and stir in pina colada mix.
- Serve warm dipping sauce with fried shrimp.
I love this recipe !!!! It"s easy to follow and the results were fantastic. The dipping sauce really brought out the flavor too. I couldn't get the frozen non-alcoholic pina colada mix so I spent a few more $$$ and got the kind with the rum in it so glad I did too. I'll be doing these a lot maybe add a touch of heat next time to make it even better. Thanks !!!!!
I used smaller sized shrimp and they still came out awesome (although not as pretty-looking as in the photo)!! I had coconut oil on hand and fried the shrimp in that; it gave the shrimp a lot of coconut bang!! I also did not find pineapple preserves and thought the pina colada mix was too expensive; therefore, I used orange preserves mixed with a little orange juice for a dipping sauce. It all came out so yummy! I'll definitely make this again! The boyfriend said this was some of my best cooking yet!!
Yum! Just like you could get in a restaurant. Easy too. I couldn't find pineapple preserves anywhere, so I used mango-pineapple instead. I also added a teaspoon of dried chili flakes to the dipping sauce because we like things spicy.