Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a rich and hearty vegan version of french toast that uses coconut milk instead of regular milk and eggs. This recipe and others may be found on my blog, http://olivesfordinner.blogspot.com/.
- 1 (13 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup soymilk
- 3 tablespoons garbanzo flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced (sandwich bread will work too)
- If using an italian loaf of bread, slice into 1 to 1.5-inch thick slices and leave out to dry during the day. The dry bread will soak up the coconut mixture better than fresh bread.
- Before bed, empty the entire can of coconut milk into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until well emulsified. Add the soymilk, garbanzo bean flour and cornstarch and stir until the ingredients have blended together. Empty the mixture into a large glass pyrex dish, enough for all of the bread pieces to fit. Dunk the bread in, making sure all pieces are well-covered with the mixture, cover with saran wrap and place into the refrigerator.
- In the morning, heat 2-3 TB of olive oil or canola oil in a large flat saute pan or griddle over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the slices of french toast and saute for 10 minutes. Flip and saute the other side for 10 minutes more. Dial up the heat to medium-high and flip again, for 5 minutes more on each side or until a nice browning has been achieved.
- Toppings: If you like sweet french toast, cover in earth balance, powdered sugar and pure maple syrup. If you like a more savory french toast, cover in earth balance, a touch of powdered sugar and some nutritional yeast.