Recipe by iknitok
One of the chaps DH has worked with for over 45 years married a girl from Fiji many long years ago. The Fijian Islands are in the south-west pacific region, north-east of Australia. This is a soup from Veri's repertoire.
- 2 lbs fish heads, and carcasses (white fish, like snapper or cod)
- 7 cups water
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chili, small & left whole
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut cream (I use coconut-flavoured reduced skim milk for a low-fat version)
- 6 -12 lemon slices
- 6 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring first 6 ingredients to simmering point and maintain gently until fish is soft and stock is full of flavour.
- Skim periodically for a clear broth.
- Strain off stock and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Alternatively, you may use a commercial fish stock, but it will taste entirely different and not authentic.
- Stir in lemon juice & coconut cream and heat thoroughly - DO NOT BOIL.
- Serve in bowls. Garnish with lemon slices & chopped green onions.