Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is very soft and buttery shortbread with a crunchy cococut topping.
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 2 60g egg yolks
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2 60g egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 1 2⁄3 desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 145 degrees celsius.
- Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm x 2cm baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, put in the butter, golden syrup and egg yolks.
- Slowly add flour and coconut until well covered.
- Place in the prepared tray and press well and evenly.
- Spread with the jam.
- Spread topping over the jam.
- Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut into fingers while it is still warm.
- TOPPING: Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the icing sugar bit by bit while still whisking.
- Fold in the coconut.