Prep 15 mins
Cook 168 hrs
This is for the coconut cake.
Make and share this Coconut Extract recipe from Food.com.
- Cook's Note: To open a coconut: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the coconut onto a folded towel set down in a large bowl. Find the 3 eyes on 1 end of the coconut and using a nail or screwdriver and hammer or meat mallet, hammer holes into 2 of the eyes.
- Turn the coconut upside down over a container and drain the water from the coconut.
- Store the water in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Place the coconut onto a 1/2 sheet pan and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- The coconut should have cracked in several places.
- Using an oyster knife or other dull blade, separate the hard shell from the brown husk.
- Using a serrated vegetable peeler, peel the brown husk from the coconut meat.
- Rinse the coconut meat under cool water and pat dry.
- Break the meat into 2 to 3-inch pieces.
- With the grater disk attached to a food processor, grate the coconut.
- Place 1 1/2 ounces of the coconut into a 1-cup glass jar with lid and pour the vodka over it.
- Seal and shake to combine.
- Place in a cool dark place for 5 to 7 days, shaking to combine every day.
- Strain the coconut and discard.
- Return the vodka to a clean jar or to its original bottle and store in a cool place for up to a year.
- Reserve the remaining coconut for another use.