This is from the book "The Food of Jamaica," a cookbook sold in Jamaica for Jamaicans. This combination of coconut, brown sugar and ginger is a winner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If you don't have silpat, butter a cookie sheet.
- 2Bring the water to a boil in a heavy saucepan and add the coconut and ginger.
- 3Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- 4Gradually add the sugar, stirring to disolve.
- 5Cook over a high heat, stirring frequently, until it is thick and sticky (120C /236F on a candy thermometer). This will take about 20-30 minutes.
- 6To test for doneness, drop a little of the mix into a glass of cold water. If it turns into a ball, it is done.
- 7Turn off the heat and stir in the nuts.
- 8Drop by teaspoon onto your baking sheet and let the candy cool.
- 9Makes about 20 large candies.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Drops
Serving Size: 1 (1123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3190.6
- Calories from Fat 1344
- Total Fat 149.4 g
- Saturated Fat 101.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 201.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 483.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.7 g
- Sugars 441.7 g
- Protein 17.7 g