Recipe by Ambervim
This is from the book "The Food of Jamaica," a cookbook sold in Jamaica for Jamaicans. This combination of coconut, brown sugar and ginger is a winner.
- 16 ounces water
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut (use what you have)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated (more if you want)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsly chopped (or any nut you want)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you don't have silpat, butter a cookie sheet.
- Bring the water to a boil in a heavy saucepan and add the coconut and ginger.
- Reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Gradually add the sugar, stirring to disolve.
- Cook over a high heat, stirring frequently, until it is thick and sticky (120C /236F on a candy thermometer). This will take about 20-30 minutes.
- To test for doneness, drop a little of the mix into a glass of cold water. If it turns into a ball, it is done.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the nuts.
- Drop by teaspoon onto your baking sheet and let the candy cool.
- Makes about 20 large candies.