Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My mom used to make them every year for me and my dad. When she tired of the process, she handed the recipe down to me, which I've tweaked just a bit. They are a MUST for the holidays. My family, friends and coworkers begin asking for them the first of December. They take some time to make, but well worth the effort. The "cooking" time is the time the coconut mixture sits in the refrigerator to firm. The times listed are estimates as I've never really timed the process. The servings are an estimate and vary on drop size.
- Melt the butter and cream together with the sugar, milk and extract. Add the coconut and mix well.
- Put the mixture into the refrigerator until firm to make it easier to handle.
- Form into small bite-size balls. Return to refrigerator to firm the balls.
- Melt the chocolate and wax in a double boiler.
- Dip the coconut balls in the chocolate and place on wax paper until set.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.