Recipe by *Parsley*
Nice and sweet. You could sub shortening for the butter and the cookies will be a bit softer.
Top Review by nranger7
Very good. (Especially since I prefer sweets with chocolate!) Even using butter rather than shortening, these seem fairly soft. I didn't have any trouble with the baking like the other reviewer did. I used stoneware baking sheets in a gas oven. I did put the batter in the fridge for about 45 minutes before baking. I didn't flatten with a sugared fork, just with my fingertips, but that's mainly because I was lazy and didn't want to mess with the sugar! That little bit of extra sugar sounds good. My cookies didn't spread out very much and I had no problem scooping them off the baking sheet. I thought these were really easy to make and tasty too.
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temp
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift together flour, cream of tarter, and baking soda. Gradually beat into the creamed mixture; blend well.
- Add coconut. The mixture will be very thick.
- With hands, form into balls the size of a walnut.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.