Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Red lentils get a big boost in flavour with this Thai-influenced dhal recipe from the BBC
Make and share this Coconut Dhal recipe from Food.com.
- 250 g red lentils (also called masoor dal or Egyptian lentils)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 0 of fresh curry leaves or 0 coriander leaves
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 2-3 green chilies, sliced
- 9.85 ml black mustard seeds
- 2 onions, one finely chopped, one sliced
- Put the lentils, coconut milk, the chopped onion, tomatoes, chillies and turmeric in a pan with 300ml water, season and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Fry the sliced onion in 4 tbsp oil until crisp, add the curry leaves (or coriander) and mustard seeds and sizzle together.
- Pour over the lentils. Serve with flatbreads.