Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
Red lentils get a big boost in flavour with this Thai-influenced dhal recipe from the BBC
- 250 g red lentils (also called masoor dal or Egyptian lentils)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1⁄4 of fresh curry leaves or 1⁄4 coriander leaves
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 -3 green chilies, sliced
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 onions, one finely chopped, one sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lentils, coconut milk, the chopped onion, tomatoes, chillies and turmeric in a pan with 300ml water, season and simmer for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Fry the sliced onion in 4 tbsp oil until crisp, add the curry leaves (or coriander) and mustard seeds and sizzle together.
- Pour over the lentils. Serve with flatbreads.