From the Houma, LA Courier Bayou Gourmet Cookbook Competition April 2006. Submitted by Leslie Blanchard in the Desserts category.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 3⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix, pudding mix, water oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with electric mixer at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup coconut and nuts.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch pans.
- Bake 35 minutes.
- Frosting: Saute 2 3/4 cups coconut in 2 tablespoons butter until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and spread onto paper towels to drain.
- Cream 2 tablespoons butter with cream cheese.
- Add confectioner's sugar and milk in small amounts, beating well between each.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Stir in 2 cups sauteed coconut.
- Frost between cake layers, top, and sides.
- Garnish with remaining sauteed coconut.
moist and delicious. i made it a sheet cake b/c i had a lot of people to feed. it was a hit. i made a few changes mostly b/c of ingredients i had on hand. i used a white cake mix and a coconut cream pudding and added some vanilla to the batter. i omitted the oil as well and put less coconut in the batter b/c of the pudding. and used unsweetened coconut. i've never made coconut cake before but if i ever do again i will make this one. thanks for a crowd pleaser.
delicious!! I used a pineapple filling for this cake . Otherwise, I made this exactly as the recipe says. GREAT!! Thanks Smilyn
We enjoyed this cake. I made it in a bundt pan instead of round pans, and it was delicious! The cream cheese/coconut frosting was light and rewarding. I would make this again.