Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I think these have the best flavor! They are very quick and easy, great for those who enjoy making things from scratch but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add buttermilk and egg substitute, mix just until moistened.
- Mix in the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
- Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a flat circle and cut into eight wedges each.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.
These are delicious. The only modification I made was to mix the coconut and chocolate chips in before the milk and egg. My aim was to avoid handling the dough as much as possible, which can negatively affect the texture of the scones. Thank you.
Delicious! My first real attempt at scones, and they came out perfectly tender are flaky. Perfect for breakfast! I halved the recipe, so I only made one flat disc and then cut that into 8 wedges.
Very tasty and not too sweet. I love the combination of chocolate and coconut. Thanks for posting!