Recipe by SweetySJD
I think these have the best flavor! They are very quick and easy, great for those who enjoy making things from scratch but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen.
Top Review by tednjoc
These are delicious. The only modification I made was to mix the coconut and chocolate chips in before the milk and egg. My aim was to avoid handling the dough as much as possible, which can negatively affect the texture of the scones. Thank you.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cold
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender.
- Add buttermilk and egg substitute, mix just until moistened.
- Mix in the coconut, chocolate chips and nuts, if desired.
- Divide dough in half. Pat each half into a flat circle and cut into eight wedges each.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes.