Recipe by bigbadbrenda
I found this while looking for a lite desert that I can eat.This is from a magazine from a few years ago. Time does not include the chilling time of 3 hours.
Top Review by Mami J
This was a great dessert. I didn't think that just infusing the toasted coconut would give it so much flavor! To toast the coconut I just used a nonstick skillet on the stove top, it was faster and didn't use as much gas :) Also used half heavy cream and half milk for the half and half as that's what I had on hand. Thank you for posting! Made for the Dining Daredevils & ZWT 5.
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.Spread coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in oven for 8-10 min until lightly brown. Set aside 2 tbsp for garnish.
- In a small pot over medium heat cook milk,sugar stirring often until sugar dissolves and mixture begins to bubble around the edges.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut, stir. Cover tightly and let stand 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over a 1/4 cup of cold water. Let soften this will take about 5 minutes.
- Strain warm coconut mixture through a fine mesh sieve into gelatin mixture. Whisk until gelatin dissolves then whisk in the half and half, salt and vanilla.
- Divide into 4 ramekins and refrigerate until set, 3 hours. When ready , unmold and sprinkle the reserved coconut on top.
- 212 calories per serving.