Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This curry is a little bit of work but well worth it. Kick up the heat by adding more pepper flakes if you wish.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- Bring the 3 cups water to a boil and add the rice.
- Stir, return to a boil and cover, reducing heat to medium low-you want it simmering.
- In a food processor or blender puree the onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, lime zest, and pepper flakes.
- Pulse a few times, scrape down and add the ground almonds, coriander, paprika and tumeric.
- Blend into a paste.
- In a large skillet toast the mustard seeds over medium high heat.
- Skake the pan to prevent burning.
- Remove from pan and pour into a bowl to cool, set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the oil.
- Swirl a few times and add the paste, cooking for 10-12 minutes.
- You want it a deep orange color and clumping together.
- Add the mustard seeds, 1 cup of water and the salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing with a spatula to extract the liquid.
- Rinse and dry skillet and return liquid to it.
- Gently whisk in the coconut milk and lime juice until well blended.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add the shrimp, stirring gently until shrimp turn pink, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour over cooked rice.