This curry is a little bit of work but well worth it. Kick up the heat by adding more pepper flakes if you wish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deviened
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 1Bring the 3 cups water to a boil and add the rice.
- 2Stir, return to a boil and cover, reducing heat to medium low-you want it simmering.
- 3In a food processor or blender puree the onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic, lime zest, and pepper flakes.
- 4Pulse a few times, scrape down and add the ground almonds, coriander, paprika and tumeric.
- 5Blend into a paste.
- 6In a large skillet toast the mustard seeds over medium high heat.
- 7Skake the pan to prevent burning.
- 8Remove from pan and pour into a bowl to cool, set aside.
- 9Reduce heat to medium and add the oil.
- 10Swirl a few times and add the paste, cooking for 10-12 minutes.
- 11You want it a deep orange color and clumping together.
- 12Add the mustard seeds, 1 cup of water and the salt.
- 13Bring to a boil.
- 14Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 15Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing with a spatula to extract the liquid.
- 16Rinse and dry skillet and return liquid to it.
- 17Gently whisk in the coconut milk and lime juice until well blended.
- 18Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add the shrimp, stirring gently until shrimp turn pink, about 3-4 minutes.
- 19Pour over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Curry Shrimp with Basmati Rice
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 565.8
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 142.8 mg
- Sodium 1246.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: