Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
One of many traditional Swahilli-seafood dishes from Zanzibar Island. The use of Indian-style curry is indicative of Zanzibar's history as a crossroads of trade. This recipe comes from mormon.org
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs shrimp (peeled)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 red bell peppers (chopped-green pepper can be substituted)
- 7 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup tomatoes (seeded & chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 2 -3 teaspoons garam masala (curry powder)
- 1 -2 tablespoon tamarind paste (lemon juice can be substituted)
- Heat 2 T. oil in skillet over high heat, sear shrimp for a few seconds, add salt and pepper; reduce heat to medium, add onion and peppers, saute until translucent; add garlic and saute 1-2 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk,curry, tamarind paste, salt & pepper, bring to a boil; then reduce to low for 6-8 minute.
- Serve with rice or boiled potatoes.