Recipe by mell_2
This my version of this delicious curry. I have halved the recipe. In the original recipe they also add 3/4 cup of cilantro at the end.
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
I have loved this recipe for a long time and am delighted that I found it here. The original, full recipe makes a ton, but I have thinned and chopped the leftovers to make a delicious soup which freezes well.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 15 fresh curry leaves (available at most Indian grocers, they should be green, not brownish green)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces pure coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lb eggplant, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lb cauliflower, cut into medium pieces
- 3⁄8 lb red bell pepper, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat for one minute and add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Wait until they start to sizzle and them sizzle for approximately 30 seconds or until a few start to pop.
- The curry leaves will cook and become shriveled.
- Immediately add garlic and onions.
- Sauté until onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the powdered spices.
- Continue to sauté until the oil separates from the tomato “masala”.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a light boil, add eggplant, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables, cover the pan and cook to taste, approximately 15 minutes.