Recipe by Pets'R'us
Recipe from Vij's
Top Review by Paja
Wonderful! I served this as a side dish and didn't add as many vegetables as stated but it still made LOTS! Maybe it would be 4 servings as a main dish. I only used about 1/2 and eggplant because it looked like so much, but the eggplant cooked down and almost disappeared. It was nice and soft and contrasted nicely with the cauliflower and peppers (which I cooked until still crisp). Like Gumboot Gourmet, I couldn't find curry leaves, so followed her idea of using curry powder. Next time I will add a bit more cayenne, I thinkit could be hotter and still retain the great flavour. I sprinkled the cilantro over top so those who don't like it could pick around it. Thank you, Pets, for a great recipe!
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 15 fresh curry leaves (available at most Indian grocers, they should be green, not brownish green)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) canof pure coconut milk
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into medium pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat for one minute and add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Wait until they start to sizzle and them sizzle for approximately 30 seconds or until a few start to pop.
- The curry leaves will cook and become shriveled.
- Immediately add garlic and onions.
- Sauté until onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the powdered spices.
- Continue to saute until the oil separates from the tomato “masala”.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a light boil, add eggplant, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables, cover the pan and cook to taste, approximately 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off, stir in cilantro.