Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe from Vij's
Make and share this Coconut Curried Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 15 fresh curry leaves (available at most Indian grocers, they should be green, not brownish green)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) canof pure coconut milk
- 1 medium eggplant, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into medium pieces
- 2 large red bell peppers, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- In large saucepan heat oil over medium heat for one minute and add curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Wait until they start to sizzle and them sizzle for approximately 30 seconds or until a few start to pop.
- The curry leaves will cook and become shriveled.
- Immediately add garlic and onions.
- Sauté until onions are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the powdered spices.
- Continue to saute until the oil separates from the tomato “masala”.
- Add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a light boil, add eggplant, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables, cover the pan and cook to taste, approximately 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off, stir in cilantro.