Recipe by Rita~
This is a vegetarian dish from Bon Appetit January 2003
Top Review by Nikoma
Fabulous!! I am so full! I could eat this all day long. The rice IS unbelievably good, but the whole dish is first rate in my opinion! And beautiful too. I wasn't sure about this when I picked it, but I would definitely make it again just as is (with the small adjustment of adding some salt to the tofu!) Thank you Rita! Even tofu newbie Fiance thought it was great.
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (packed)
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened light coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained,patted dry,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1 cup whole small cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir shredded coconut in small nonstick skillet over medium heat until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water and salt to boil in heavy medium saucepan.
- Stir in rice; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree cilantro, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 teaspoon ginger, lime juice, and half of garlic in blender.
- Mix puree and coconut into rice.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add tofu; stir-fry until golden, about 6 minutes.
- Add onions, curry, cumin, red pepper, remaining ginger, and remaining garlic.
- Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and remaining coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among 4 plates.
- Top with tofu mixture.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
- *Availableat specialty foods stores and natural foods stores.
- **Availableat Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets.