The Barefoot Contessa's delicious recipe!
Make and share this Coconut Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb sweetened flaked coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°. Sift the dry ingredients together into a medium mixing bowl, and set the bowl aside. Break eggs into a small bowl, and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer running, carefully pour in eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix in the flour mixture and buttermilk by alternating between 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk; be sure to start and end with the flour mixture. Add half the coconut, and mix until just incorporated.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Fill each cup with batter; the batter should nearly reach the tops of the cupcake cups. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven, and allow them to cool briefly in the tin before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes. Generously ice them with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Frosting: Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.