Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Barefoot Contessa's delicious recipe!
Make and share this Coconut Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 lb sweetened flaked coconut
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°. Sift the dry ingredients together into a medium mixing bowl, and set the bowl aside. Break eggs into a small bowl, and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer running, carefully pour in eggs and vanilla and almond extracts.
- Mix in the flour mixture and buttermilk by alternating between 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup buttermilk; be sure to start and end with the flour mixture. Add half the coconut, and mix until just incorporated.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper liners. Fill each cup with batter; the batter should nearly reach the tops of the cupcake cups. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven, and allow them to cool briefly in the tin before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes. Generously ice them with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Frosting: Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl. Gradually add butter, and continue beating until smooth and well blended. Sift in confectioners’ sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla, and stir to combine.
Love these little beauties. I made them for a babyshower, and they were a hit. They look beautiful, and taste great.
I always make these for Easter, and I think about them all year long. They are sooo good. the frosting quantities are very generous, so feel free to put some in a bowl and dip strawberries in it or something. . .
LOVE these cupcakes!!! (As I do with most of Ina Garten's recipes!) I only add about half of the amount of coconut to the batter though- only due to personal preference. These cupcakes really are to die for! ~The frosting turns out to be an ENORMOUS amount.... beware, you WILL have extra! (Great for dipping fresh strawberries into though! -Yum!)