This wonderful recipe is from The Baker's Dozen Cookbook. A must-try for coconut lovers! Even those who claim they dislike coconut will adore there cute cupcakes. Decorate with coconut nougatine sticks.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (not coco lopez)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (3 oz, you can also use half coconut flakes, half almond flakes)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour sixteen medium (2 3/4 inch) muffin cups, tap out excess flour, or line them with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together onto a piece of wax paper; set aside.
- Beat butter on medium speed until lighter in color. Add sugar in a steady stream, then stop the mixer to scrape down the bowl.
- Return to medium speed and beat until mixture is very light in color and texture, stopping occasionally to scrape down the bowl.
- Add the slightly beaten egg (ensure it's at room temperature) a tablespoon at a time. If mixture looks curdled, stop, increase mixer speed to high and beat until mixture looks smooth and shiny again.
- In 3 additions, add flour mixture, alternating with 2 additions of coconut milk. (flour-milk-flour-milk-flour) After each addition, scrape down the sides and beat until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla extract with the final addition of coconut milk.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the coconut flakes and almonds (if using).
- Spoon the batter into prepared cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Sprinkle the top with some toasted almond flakes, if desired.
- Bake for 20 mins, until the tops spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack, cool for 10 mins. Remove cupcakes from the pan and cool completely on wire rack, top side up.
- If using the nougatine sticks: Just before serving, poke two nougatine sticks into each cupcake in a crisscross fashion.