Recipe by dev_carlsen
Chill times are included in the preparation time.
Top Review by KateL
Delicious and easy, very coconutty, the hardest part was juicing almost an entire bag of Key limes! I found unsweetened coconut in the freezer section of my local Indian grocer. I'm not quite sure if I assembled it correctly; I guess I need to find the Harley Brachman episode on Gale Gand's Sweet Dreams show. My bottom crust went up the sides. My second crust was concentrated on the sides but also spread across the bottom. At any rate, my filling fit in perfectly, and it tasted great! Made for Best of 2013 tag, based on Maito's recommendation.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pea sized bits
- 1 large egg, mixed with
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Key Lime filling
- 4 egg yolks
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 key limes, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat a 9-inch tart tin plate with nonstick vegetable spray. In a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the coconut. With fingers or a pastry blender, work in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle on 2 to 3 tablespoons of the egg water and blend together. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. Roll the dough into a 9 1/2-inch round and fit into the tart tin.
- Mix together the remaining 2 cups coconut, egg whites, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Lightly press mixture against the sides of the tin. Chill for 30 minutes then bake in a preheated 375-degree F oven for 8 minutes, until just set.
- Key Lime Filling: In a bowl, mix together the yolks, sweetened condensed milk, key lime zest and juice. Pour it into the shell and bake in a preheated 325 degree F oven for 18 minutes and just set. Set on a rack to cool, refrigerate until chilled.